Monday, February 18, 2013

Trainer Chopsticks

So our son has (probably) a Systemic Nickel Allergy. Nickel is in the soil, so it is in food. Some foods have higher levels than others based on the food, the soil, etc. Nickel is in most metals found around the house and  stores and businesses in the US. Nickel is in stainless steal. Nickel is everywhere.

When we came to strongly suspect our son's probable diagnosis, we bought new pots and pans (nickel free), new knives (ceramic), and started the search for nickel free flatware. We finally found some flatware. We only have 4 forks and 4 spoons. This leads to a shortage of flatware regularily.

We'd really rather avoid plastic when we can (harder and harder to do with a toddler). So right now, we reduce exposure to nickel as our first priority and then to plastics as the secondary priority. As a solution to this flatware shortage in our house, I learned to use chopsticks! They are cheaper, portable, and so I'm much less worried about losing or breaking a set.

I think this is the best solution for our son. He'll use the forks and spoons we have when he's able, and will use chopsticks when they are available. If we decide that the allergy is severe enough, maybe we'll start carrying chop sticks in the car with us too.

So now I'm on a quest to learn how to teach a toddler to use chop sticks. I've only just taught myself, so I'm quite unsure how to do this with a toddler. I've looked on line. I have a message in to a parent who might be able to teach me to teach him. In the mean time, we have some "training" chop sticks from Daiso. I've seen another style with finger holes that I think I'd also like to try.

Any experienced parents out there who know how to teach  young children to use chop sticks?

Please excuse the poor etiquette of chop sticks sticking out of my bowl in the back ground.


UPDATE: We found another style of trainer chop sticks at Daiso yesterday.



No comments:

Post a Comment